Introduction: Woman's Place at the Turn of the Century: Emancipation or Hysterization?
Part I Freud's Double?
1. Female Sexuality and Schnitzler's "La Ronde"
Part II Demythologizing the Femme Fatale, or The Daughter's Education
2. The (Wo)Man in the Moon: Wilde's "Salomé"
3. Woman as Spectacle and Commodity: Wedekind's Lulu Plays
Part III The Law of the Father
4. "I've Lost Him Surely": Synge's "Playboy of the Western World"
5. The Dynamics of Sex and Suffering: Hauptmann's "Rose Bernd"
Part IV. Mothers in Spite of Themselves
6. Maternity and Hysterica: Ibsen's "Hedda Gabler"
7. Humanism and Patriarchy: Hofmannsthal's "Woman without a Shadow
Part V Motherhood, Power, and Powerlessness
8. The New Woman as Madonna: Shaw's "Candida"
9. The Devil in the House? Strindberg's "The Father"